On the lead-up to RISE 2017
I’ve been a conference veteran for many years - United States, Asia, and Europe.
I’ve also attended Ruby Kaigi in Japan since 2011, but sadly I might have to give this year a miss due to timing (I’d love to visit Japan again!).
Anyway it’s time for my pre-conference tips.
Tips for preparation
Arriving in Hong Kong
If you’re coming from out of town, arrive a few days before to allow time to adjust to the time zone. Also you might want to get business cards printed out in Hong Kong rather than carrying it there. You need to stay alert during AND after the conference - If you actually want to meet people, you need to be at the night events. I found the best connections were at night.
Get Shit down / Working
Obviously, you might need to do some work at times. There’s a cool spot in the basement of the convention centre which has fast free wifi and power (but very limited seating), there should be chillout areas in the actual venue too (just have some headphones).
Also, there are lots of co-working spaces in Hong Kong. My favorite one is WeWork but it’s quite expensive for the day unless you’re already a member. However if you have a WeWork community member you can use that. Try to time your day with the events they hold, but more importantly - don’t get too drunk on the free bottomless beer they offer there or you won’t be working.
- While in Europe, I didn’t really care to give them out. Plus web summit has an awesome app to use. But In Asia, it’s all about business cards. Always have them. Just your name and contact at the bare minimum. For me it’s my name, and website portal. Bonus points: Have something that stands out which is also a good conversation starter, and something memorable. Some events you need a name-card to get in to them.
- Update your Tinder profile to reflect that you’re there for RISE. You never know who you might find.
- Always have a drink. For those that don’t drink (or just want to save money), get a mock-tail. It can be an awesome conversation starter if you have a unique drink.
- It’s not a college frat party, pace yourself. It’s not a race to how much alcohol you can consumed (might be tempting though because its all free).
- Always Be Charging. Carry spare power for your phone. It’s your portal to finding out where your “crew” is and where the action is when out and about and the party is starting to get lame.
Events to look out for
More to be added. Give me a shout out (contact details at the bottom or put a comment), if theres something mising.
Sunday July 9th
Monday July 10
Tuesday July 11
- 500 Startups x Alibaba Entrepreneurs Fund @RISE Founders Night
- RISE Startup Ferry
- RISE Event - The Future of Higher Education
- Growth Marketer RISE Pub Crawl - Also note that participants here is obliged to order at least 1 drink. For those on startup budgets, expect to pay at least 10 - 15 USD for a drink in HK bars.
- SG@RISE After Party
Wednesday July 12
- Outblaze Hike
- Brinc IoT Night
- RISE Fintech Meetup
- RISE Pitch like a girl event
- RISE TravelTech Event
- RISE CONFERENCE Community Event - VR Meetup
- Selling into China via Cross-Border E-Commerce - Note that this is a PAID event.
- ChinaAccelerator RISE Party
Thursday July 13
- Retail Tech: The Next Generation of Business Accelerators
- StartupHK Karaoke
- RISE CONFERENCE Community Event–“Tech x Culture x Entertainment” Meetup
- Outblaze Sunset Cruise
Some Events I’ve registered and/or hoping to attend
- Monday July 10 preRISE SG / HK startup & VC mixer
- Monday July 10 RISE x ChinaAccelerator
- Tuesday July 11 RISE Startup Ferry - 9pm
- Wednesday July 12 RISE TravelTech Event
- Wednesday July 12 RISE Fintech Meetup
- Wednesday July 12 ChinaAccelerator RISE Party
- Friday July 14th #TaiwanRocksHK
- All Night Every Night - Night Summit Shenanigans at LKF
Want to connect during RISE?
My contact details are below